Skip to main content

Reinstalling the drivetrain

"Assemble in reverse"

New rear engine seals and gaskets, new flywheel, new clutch, new slave cylinder, rebuilt torque tube, transmission leaks fixed. The drivetrain is finally ready for reinstall. 
I decided to reinstall the drivetrain in three steps. This makes it easier to get the clutch splines and the torque tube lined up correctly, as there is less mass to move around: 
1) Torque tube 
2) Transmission and differential 
3) Rear subframe with suspension
Again, the bellhousing bolts caused troubles, with no space for my hands or any socket tools to get the threads engaged. The solution I came up with was to loop a wire around the bolts, which I could use to guide the bolts in place.
Transmission and differential assembled and ready to be mounted to the torque tube. 

By using only hand force to install the torque tube, there is less chance of damaging the pilor bearing. I stretched out under the car and lifted the torque tube up by hand, and then slid it in place. If any more than hand force is required, you know that either the torque tube isn't aligned correctly or the clutch disc isn't perfectly centered.
As the transmission jack/adapter was already in use for the rear subframe, I made my own custom transmission jack by bolting a wood block to a floor jack.
Transmission mated to the already mounted torque tube. It slid in place using only hand force by pulling the floor jack forward.
Only one step left, lifting the rear subframe and suspension into place. Warning: The torque tube has posts for the shifter box, which trapped the brake and fuel lines on the left side of the transmission tunnel as I raised the subframe and torque tube up into position. I fortunately noticed before any major damage was done.
Finally, the car is in one piece again. By installing the torque tube, transmission and subframe separately, it was possible to do this as a one-man job with the car on floor stands.  It made the weight of the parts to move around under the car manageable, so I could get things lined up easily.